- All families new to Glens Falls Karate Academy are required to have a family interview with an Administrator. Both parents (or legal guardians) and those children who will attend Glens Falls Karate Academy must attend this interview.
- Returning families who are enrolling a new student are required to have an admission interview with the new student, one parent, and an Administrator.
- Once your application is submitted, you will be contacted regarding the interview shortly.
Following a meeting with our admissions staff, all potential students will be required to participate in a program evaluation before continuing with the enrollment process. During this evaluation they will actively participate through an age-specific class with a qualified instructor who will assess their age-specific development in four key areas.
- Physical Development – age specific exercises and martial arts training to determine a students physical ability/needs
- Intellectual Development – age-specific questions and tasks to assess age specific thinking processes and intellectual capabilities
- Emotional Development – age-specific assessment of self-esteem, confidence, and drive to participate
- Social Development – age-specific assessment of social interactions with parents, students and teachers
Following the evaluation, the Glens Falls Karate Academy Admissions Committee reviews the developmental standing of a potential student to avoid enrolling a child in a program for which the child/family is unprepared. Glens Falls Karate Academy does not have the resources to offer specialized assistance for those students who are significantly below average developmental level. Consequently, students who require substantial or specialized in-class help will generally not qualify for acceptance to our programs. In limited circumstances, factors such as private tutoring (at the additional expense of the family) and significant parental involvement, when taken together with other admission criteria, may result in acceptance of a student who has special needs or who is performing significantly below average developmental level. If a student has been evaluated at below average developmental level in some areas, but exhibits average or above-average performance in other developmental areas, the student may still qualify for acceptance.
A complete evaluation is required for all potential students. All new applicants must be assessed at our dojo by our staff before further participating in any Glens Falls Karate Academy programs. There is no cost for the evaluation. Once your application is submitted, you will be contacted to schedule an interview and evaluation on the same day.