COURTESY IS AN IMPORTANT LIFE SKILL TO LEARN. WHEN YOU ARE COURTEOUS, YOU SHOW POLITENESS TO OTHER PEOPLE. YOU USE YOUR MANNERS, RESPECT OTHERS AND ARE CONSIDERATE. BEING COURTEOUS HELPS YOU TO MAKE FRIENDS AND EARN RESPECT FROM OTHERS.
This month we are learning about courtesy and why it is such an important skill to develop and use. Being courteous to everybody is expected in our class. Our students should be courteous to their classmates, instructors and and visitors in the building. Courtesy should also be used at home and at school. Students should know and understand why it is important to be courteous, that sometimes it is difficult to show courtesy, the benefits of being courteous and different ways to show courtesy.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Be a role model – kids quickly pick up and mimic the actions of their parents. If they see their parents being courteous, they will be courteous. But if they see parents behaving poorly, they will follow that example as well.
- Books and videos – there are several books and videos available to demonstrate good manners and courtesy in story form. These educational pieces can help kids get a visual idea of how to be courteous all the time. It is important not only to read and watch these with your kids, but also to talk about them after and make sure kids understand the concept.
- Require kids to use manners – Make sure your kids are saying please and thank you when they ask for something. Teach them not to interrupt people when they are talking. Ensure they understand why it is important to use manners at all times.
- Make sure your kids know the importance of good sportsmanship – If your kids play sports, try not to allow complaining or moping if they lose. Instead, encourage them to congratulate their opponents on a good game. If they are the winner, make sure they are gracious winners and not rubbing it in the losing team’s face.
Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook for a new talk and questions to ask your kids to encourage a great talk about courtesy each week – here’s a sneak peak …
“COURTESY IS NOTHING BUT BUYS EVERYTHING.”
– HAZRAT ALI IBN ABU-TALIB A.S –
“I CANNOT IMAGINE A TRULY BEAUTIFUL WORLD WITHOUT COURTESY BEING INTEGRAL TO ITS CULTURE.”
– HRISHIKESH AGNIHOTRI –
“NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN OFFENDED BY SOMEONE WITH GOOD MANNERS AND COURTEOUS BEHAVIOR.”
– VIKRANT PARSAI –
“GRATITUDE IS THE MOST EXQUISITE FORM OF COURTESY.”
– JACQUES MARITAIN –